Plan Your Move
Countdown to a Successful Move.We suggest that you start the moving process at least four weeks before your scheduled move date. This will provide you with plenty of time to complete all of the details that accompany moving.
- Decide when you want to move.
- Notify creditors, magazines and book/music clubs of your new address.
- Retrieve your family's medical records and ask doctors and dentists to recommend a colleague in your new city.
- Decide which items can be sold, discarded or donated to charity.
- Complete your own inventory of each possession, including date purchased and estimated value.
- Notify your children's schools, your church and other organizations of your impending move.
- Decide which items you will be packing yourself and what the movers will be packing
- Sketch out a general floor plan of your new home to determine the placement of furnishings, color coding of packed boxes.
- Make a list of important names, addresses and phone numbers, and be sure to take your phone book with you.
- Notify Gerold Moving & Warehousing Company if anything about your move has changed (dates, etc.).
- Make arrangements to move your plants and pets.
- Contact your bank and transfer the contents of your safety deposit box.
- Check your homeowner's policy to see if moving is covered by your insurer.
- If shipping an automobile, top off fluids like oil and antifreeze, but make plans to have the gas tank less than half-full.
- Arrange for the proper servicing of all appliances at your origin and destination.
- Dispose of flammable items such as gasoline, matches, bleach, cleaning fluids and aerosol cans.
- Arrange for the payment of your driver at destination. Unless your move is being billed to your employer or previous credit approval has been secured, payment by cash, certified check or money order is required before unloading.
- Transfer bank accounts so you don't lose any interest.
- Make arrangements to disconnect/connect local phone service at your origin/destination.
- Determine which items you will be taking with you (jewelry, etc.). Pack and set them aside in a designated area.
- Use up all frozen foods or give them away.
- Drain the fuel from lawnmowers and other gas-powered equipment.
1 day before
- Pack a box of things you'll need as soon as you arrive at your new home. Take this box with you, or have your driver load it last and unload it first.
- This is usually the day packing is done; verify all packing services have been performed before signing for them.
- Defrost, clean and dry your refrigerator.
- Remove bedding & take apart the beds the best you can. (local move only)
- Plan to be at your current home when our driver arrives and throughout the loading of your shipment. If you're not able to be there, make sure the driver has the name and number of the person you've designated to oversee the process.
- Check the condition of your goods as they are inventoried and loaded.
- Make a final tour of your home/property and verify that nothing has been overlooked.
- Sign the Bill of Lading, double-checking that your new address and phone number are correct.
- Lock all doors and windows and turn off all switches.
- If possible, arrive at your new home a day early to make sure utilities are connected.
- Plan the placement of major items in/around your home, use the color coding system.
- Be on hand to pay the driver prior to the unloading of your goods.
- As you unpack, make note of any damages by movers.
Please remember we do not take responsibility for Self-Packed boxes.